Frequently Asked Questions About Uninsured Motorist Accidents in Missouri

Posted on

There is no such thing as a good car accident, but the least bad kind of car accident is one in which no one is injured and in which both drivers carry the required insurance coverage.  In such ideal circumstances, the drivers simply contact their insurance companies, and the insurance companies work out the details of reimbursement for any vehicle repairs that were required as a result of the accident.  Things get much more complicated when one of the drivers involved in the accident does not have insurance. What you should do if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver depends on the details of the accident.  If you are injured, you should contact a personal injury lawyer. Here are some common questions about car accidents involving an uninsured driver in Missouri.


St. Louis MO car and auto accident lawyer
If you’ve experienced a car accident, contact Walton Telken for a free consultation.

Q: What Are the Requirements for Car Insurance Coverage in St. Louis?

A: Missouri law requires that every driver who registers a vehicle carry car insurance.  You must carry liability insurance to cover at least $25,000 per person for bodily injury and $10,000 per accident for property damage.  You must also carry uninsured motorist insurance to cover $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury. In other words, even if the other driver does not have insurance coverage, your insurance will protect you.


Q: What Is the Penalty for Not Having Liability Insurance?

A: If, at a traffic stop or car accident, you are found not to have insurance coverage, you get four points on your license.  In other words, several times getting caught without car insurance means that your license can get suspended. If your license gets suspended, and it is your first license suspension, simply get the required insurance, pay a $20 reinstatement fee, and you can get your license back immediately.  If it is your second suspension, there is a 90-day waiting period before your license can be reinstated, and the reinstatement fee is $200. For a third license suspension, the waiting period is a year, and the reinstatement fee is $400.


Q: What Should You Do If You Are in an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist?

A: The procedure is much the same as for any car accident.  Ask if anyone was injured, exchange contact information with the other driver, and contact your insurance company and the police.  If any injuries resulted from the accident and one of the drivers was uninsured, you must report the accident to the Driver License Bureau.  You can do this by filling out Form 1140, the Motor Vehicle Accident Report form.


Contact Walton Telken Foster About St. Louis Car Accident Cases

If you are injured in a car accident, you might need the help of a personal injury attorney to get the compensation you deserve for your medical bills and lost income.  Things can be especially complicated if the accident involved an uninsured driver.  Contact Walton Telken Foster in the St. Louis area to discuss your case.

WaltonTelken Logo Final760

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.