What Factors Could Affect My Dog Bite or Animal Attack Case?
When you meet with an attorney at our firm during the initial free consultation, the lawyer will ask you about the incident, including who was involved, where it happened, and how you or your child is doing now. If we accept your case, we will investigate further, obtaining a copy of the police report, as well as the animal control report. Our attorneys look for patterns, including:
- Does the animal have a prior history of biting?
- Is the dog considered dangerous in the neighborhood?
- Was the animal on a leash or in a fenced yard?
- Was the yard gate closed?
- Have the police been called to the dog owner’s home previously?
- Was the animal or dog was properly restrained?
- Did owner of the animal know the dog or other animal was prone to be vicious?
What Should I Do If I Was Bitten By a Dog?
If you are bitten by a dog or suffer an animal attack, there are certain steps you should take. They include:
- Get medical treatment.
- Call the police and file a police report.
- Call animal control and make a report.
- If possible, verify the animal’s vaccination records to make sure it’s had a rabies shot.
- Exchange information with the owner of the dog or animal as well as with anyone who witnessed the event.
- Contact an attorney at Walton Telken Injury Attorneys to talk about any legal options you may have.
How Can A St. Louis Dog Bite Lawyer Help Me?
Many victims of dog bites incur heavy expenses due to the injury, including doctor and emergency room bills, as well as surgery, rehabilitation and therapy expenses. In extreme cases, there is even loss of life. We pursue compensation in those cases from the homeowner’s insurance of the dog’s owner. As experienced personal injury attorneys, we deal with insurance companies and their adjusters every day. We know how to properly handle these cases and aggressively pursue for maximum compensation for you.