Fairview Heights, Illinois Car Accident Lawyer

Call 844-307-7349

Have You Been Involved in a Car Accident in Fairview Heights, Illinois?

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you’re probably overwhelmed with all of the things you need to take care of – and all of that paperwork and phone calls take up so much of the time and energy you want to use for other, more important things. Given this, you might consider the option of hiring an attorney to help you navigate the complicated legal process so that you can get back to your normal life sooner, and with much less hassle.

First Things First: At the Scene of your Car Accident

Fairview Heights, Illinois Car Accident Lawyer
Walton Telken are Car Accident Attorneys in Fairview Heights, Illinois.

Immediately after a car crash, there are some things you need to do. At the scene, you should ensure your own safety first; in order to accomplish this, it’s usually best to stay in your car, but move your vehicle out of traffic if possible. If the accident is more than a minor fender bender, or if you or anyone else was injured, you should call 911 to report the accident. When you call, calmly tell the dispatcher the important details such as your name and contact information and the location and nature of the accident.

If your mobile phone has a built-in camera, you can use it to take pictures of the scene, including any injuries you or anyone else sustained and the extent of damages to vehicles. It’s important not to apologize at this point, as it may be used as evidence that you admit the accident was your fault. For that reason, after you obtain their contact and insurance information, you should limit your communication with anyone else involved in the crash.

If law enforcement comes to the scene to make an accident report, make sure you get the officer’s name, contact information, badge number, and the report number; this will make it much easier to get a copy once it’s complete.


Filing An Insurance Claim in Illinois

When you have been injured or your car has been damaged in a car crash, you need to call your car insurance company to report the crash and file a claim. You will be required to provide information about the accident, including the contact information for others involved (if you have it). Some car insurance companies provide forms for you to keep in your car in case of an accident; they’ll help remind you of the specific information you need to record at the scene.


Filing A Lawsuit in Illinois

In any accident, injuries can be anywhere from minor to major, life-altering or even life-ending; and the financial impacts can be just as devastating. That’s why it’s so important, if you’ve been injured or your car has been damaged in a wreck, to document all of your related expenses; assuming the accident was another driver’s fault, you can seek damages by filing a lawsuit. The actual amount you can ask for a and win will depend on a variety of factors, including the extent and expected the duration of your injuries. Compensatory damages (i.e., those damages that are more or less easily quantifiable because they have a specific dollar amount related to them) typically include any medical treatment (including physical therapy and rehabilitation), mental and emotional distress, lost wages (current and into the future), and property loss.


What If the Other Driver Fails to Accept Responsibility?

If the other driver is contesting fault (i.e., if they don’t accept responsibility for causing the accident), then you should think about hiring an attorney to help you prove that they were at fault; you’re more likely to get compensation for your expenses if you prove that someone else was to blame for the collision.


What If the Other Driver Doesn’t Have an Illinois Insurance Policy?

When the at-fault driver doesn’t have car insurance, or if they don’t have enough to cover your expenses, you may need to ask your car insurance company to cover your costs. Remember that it’s very important to keep all bills and receipts for your costs related to the accident, as they will prove (a) that you’ve been injured, and (b) that you’ve had to pay for those injuries that someone else caused. Keep in mind that both insurance companies – yours and the other driver’s – will want to minimize their costs, so it’s in your best interest to provide them all of the documentation for your injuries and costs, including what work you may have missed out on and any doctor’s reports or notes that indicate an impact on your future lifestyle and ability to earn a living.


Will You Need to Go to Court?

Not even the most experienced attorney will be able to give you a definitive answer for this, as it relies heavily on the other driver(s) involved. When you hire an attorney to organize and work on your case, however, they will work to defend you and seek the compensation you’re due; they might be able to reach a settlement outside of court, but not always. You should do your best to prepare for whatever happens.

Call a Fairveiw Heights, Illinois Car Accident Attorney today!

With everything you have to deal with after an accident, the best you can do right now is get yourself started in the right direction by (a) starting to heal mentally and physically, and (b) calling to schedule an appointment to consult with a knowledgeable, experienced attorney who can tell you about your rights and options. Call us toll-free at 844-307-7349 today.


WaltonTelken Logo Final760

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.