Troy E. Walton
Born in Chatham, Illinois , Troy Walton was the youngest of three children to Ronald and Karen Walton. As a young boy, Mr. Walton learned the importance of hard work and family values from his father, a night shift postal worker, and his mother, a bank teller/administrative assistant. At age twelve, Mr. Walton experienced first-hand the challenges faced by working class families that suffer a debilitating injury or illness to a family member, when, at age 44, his father died of lung cancer. Due in great part to his strong, supportive mother and his desire to succeed, Mr. Walton graduated from high school with honors and enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In so doing, Mr. Walton fulfilled his father’s wish that he be the first member of his family to attend college following high school. After graduating from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Bachelor of Arts degree, Mr. Walton attended St. Louis University School of Law where he graduated, cum laude, in 2000.
After law school, Mr. Walton worked for a short period of time handling real estate and construction litigation matters for large corporations and insurance companies. In 2001, Mr. Walton left corporate America behind and returned to his working class roots by accepting an associate position with renowned plaintiff’s personal injury attorney Rex Carr. While working along side Mr. Carr, Mr. Walton gained extensive experience representing working class individuals and families in a wide variety of cases involving serious personal injury and wrongful death. In 2003, at only age 27, Mr. Walton was named partner with The Rex Carr Law Firm.
In the past few years alone, Mr. Walton has successfully resolved a number of plaintiff’s personal injury cases resulting in significant recoveries to his clients. Such cases include a $7 million settlement to a woman who was seriously burned, and whose husband was killed, in a fire caused by a defective refrigerator; a significant settlement for a truck driver whose semi-truck was struck by an uninsured driver; a substantial settlement for a five-year-old boy who sustained second and third degree burns to over 20% of his body as a result of a defective shirt.
In recognition of these results and others, in 2007, Mr. Walton was inducted into the Million Dollar Advocate’s Forum, an organization whose members include many of the top trial lawyers in the United States.
In January, 2009, Mr. Walton formed Walton Telken, LLC. Mr. Walton continues to focus his practice exclusively on plaintiff’s personal injury litigation including trucking and motor vehicle accidents, products liability claims, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect cases, class actions, complex civil litigation, and all claims involving serious personal injury or wrongful death. For example, currently, Mr. Walton’s clients include: two young U.S. Army soldiers serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom who were seriously injured when the engine in their helicopter failed causing it to unexpectedly crash; the family of a woman who was tragically killed in an apartment fire as a result of the failure of the landlord to install a smoke detector; a young man who was crushed while working in unsafe conditions at a coal mine in Southern, Illinois; and a young husband and wife who were seriously injured in a motor vehicle collision when an Illinois State Trooper lost control of his cruiser while traveling over 100 mph.
Mr. Walton has lectured on a variety of topics regarding personal injury litigation and civil trial techniques and has tried cases to verdict in both Illinois and Missouri.
Mr. Walton resides in Edwardsville, Illinois with his wife, Anne. Mr. Walton is an Edwardsville Township Democratic Precinct Committeeman and is currently serving as Vice-President of the Edwardsville Democratic Club.
When he is not working, Mr. Walton enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf with friends, traveling and watching the St. Louis Cardinals and Dallas Cowboys.
- Areas of Practice:
- Serious Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- Motor Vehicle/Trucking Accidents
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Toxic Torts
- Consumer Class Actions
- Bar Admissions:
- Illinois, 2001
- Missouri, 2000
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 2002
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2001
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 2001
- Saint Louis University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri, 2000
Honors: Cum Laude
Law Journal: St. Louis-Warsaw Transatlantic Law Journal, Senior Editor, 1999 – 2000
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1997
Honors: Dean’s List
- Representative Cases:
Rutz v. Norcold, Inc. and Jayco, Inc., Newspaper: Belleville News-Democrat (So. Dist. IL. 2006)Doe v. Major Clothing Mfg., et al., Mo.LawWkly (22nd Judicial Circuit, St. Louis, MO.)McDaniel v. Natl. Union Fire Ins. Co., Mo LawWkly (22nd Judicial Circuit St. Louis, MO 2005)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury: Practice Tips and Application, National Business Institute, 2007
- Building Your Civil Trial Skills, National Business Institute, 2007
- Winning Your First Civil Trial, National Business Institute, 2008
- Honors and Awards:
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2006 – Present
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum – reserved for only 1% of all trial attorneys nationwide who have secured million dollar verdicts for their clients.
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice, 2001
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 2001
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Lawyers Association of St. Louis
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2001
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Managers, 2006 – Present
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Madison County, Illinois Bar Association, 2001
- St. Clair County, Illinois Bar Association, 2001
- The Bar Association of Central & Southern Federal Districts of Illinois
- Past Employment Positions:
- Burroughs Hepler Broom MacDonald & Hebrank, Law Clerk, 1998 – 1999
- Reinert & Rourke, Associate, 2000 – 2001
- Carr Korein Tillery, Associate, 2001 – 2003
- The Rex Carr Law Firm, Partner, 2003 – 2008
- Delta Chi